Saturday, May 09, 2009

2nd night on-call

Friday, 8 May 2009
6.30 pm - Started my on-call by standing by a Chinese during her delivery. She was remarried with a 2nd husband. 4th pregnancy (history of 3 miscarriages). I think she was so scared and in pain that her grip nearly broke off my ring and little fingers. Had to reassure her and give inhaled anaesthesia / sedative.. When she finally delivered, aside from suturing the episiotomy, the MO and nurses left the room.. she hung on to my hand tightly, begging me not to leave, coz she was afraid, and lonely coz nobody came to visit her. So accompanied her a further 15 minutes or so lar, reassuring her that everything is fine, had a bit of chat about me being a student, not being able to speak Chinese convincingly (that's why during delivery the staff nurse of mixed Malay-Chinese descent commented that my choice of Mandarin words sounded funny) etc. Then her husband came looking for her when she has been transferred to the Pusat Bersalin, had to show the husband where it is..

10.00 pm - For a moment I thought could get my 1st OT signed off with a Caesarian section.. after a long exhaustive wait for 45 minutes.. the baby came out via normal vaginal delivery on the OT table.. *swt* even the MO to perform the surgery was shaking his head.

Saturday, 9 May 2009
12.45 am - Vietnamese lady married to a Malaysian Chinese husband. Husband was asked to come in to translate the doctor's instructions for the wife when straining / pushing. Instead the husband got so excited, that from the way he encouraged his wife to push, it would seem like I'm watching the scene of a die-hard Japanese football fan's reaction in front of the TV when his team is about to score a goal.

1.20 am - I conducted 2 deliveries.. both ended up as instrumental ones with vacuum coz if we wait any longer, the outcome for the baby is not so good (Argh, I needed to do my normal deliveries!!), but oh well, got one vaginal exam signed off as well.

No comments: