Saturday, July 25, 2009

Because someone picked me up


Will it make a difference?
In Australia, there is a beach where at certain times each year thousands of starfish are washed up on the sand. Usually at night, a high tide, a large wave will bring them in so far that the water won't carry them back out. Then, as the sun shines on the starfish, they slowly dry out and die.

One morning a tourist came out of his hotel for a jog at dawn. Down on the beach he noticed a little boy picking up stranded starfish and throwing them back into the sea. But there were thousands of them up and down the shore.

The man ran up to the boy and said, "I know what you are doing, and I think I know why you're doing it. But there are thousands of starfish here and miles of beach. Do you really think that what you are doing is going to make a difference?"

The boy said, "I don't know. But I think it will make a difference in this one!" And he picked up another starfish and threw it into the sea.

-Excerpt from: 'Whose Child is This?: A story of hope and help for a generation at peril' - by Bill Wilson-

No comments: