Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Malaysian medical student goes Aussie

Day 2 of neurosurgical posting

Registrar: Eh you, later you scrub in ya, assist me with inserting a ventriculoperitoneal shunt. You know how to scrub in, right?
Me: (blur look since I last enter an operating theatre half a year ago) Err..yeah? U mean the handwashing and gowning part right? *proceeds to show handwashing gesture*
Registrar: .....*horrified look*.... Oh.my.lord..
Nevertheless, I remembered a bit here and there, and managed to assist during the surgery.

Next we witnessed a craniotomy for a patient with small cell lung cancer metastasised to the temporal lobe. My consultant supervisor joined in and operated.
Registrar: Gary, come over here and help me with the computerised CT scan.
Me: Ok! *rushes over and pressed the monitor screen a few times*
Everyone: *again, a horrified look*
Registrar: Ehem.. Hello dude, its not touchscreen lar.. the mouse is over there.

I put a stool behind the surgeons who are operating so that I can stand on it to have a clearer look. Another medical student who was assisting didn't see it, and tripped, and..... (on 2nd thought, never mind)

Nearly walked into the glass wall of the emergency department.

Registrar said nothing much in the wards, so can go home early - 4.30pm.

No comments: