Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Dermatology (ie skin clinic) posting

Just a couple of things passing by..

Part 1
My Mandarin still suck, but slowly picking up (I think progress 1%, despite having learnt quite a bit). And just when I thought knowing little Mandarin is bad enough, my group asked me if I could help translate for them a Chinese patient whom they were clerking (had a feeling it's going to turn out to be like the blind leading the blind, but nevertheless, I agreed to sit in and try lar). Guess what? Patient decided to speak to us in Hokkien. *swt*

Part 2
An extremely thin, wasted old lady came in for review. Apparently had quite a bit of bruising lar.. she was super thin to the extent that it was as if it was just a layer of skin covering a skeleton. She wasn't eating much lar, coz she is a diabetic, and according to her son, was not happy to be asked to refrain from her favourite foods (ie roti canai, cakes, noodles, sweets etc). So old already still have cravings for such things :p Don't feel like growing old leh, if not then this and that cannot eat pfft..

Then she looked at me as I smiled at her, and thought I was the dermatologist whose name was written on the door. When the actual dermatologist said I'm not, she was like, "This is which doctor ar? Doctor Tan ar?" *swt* My reply: Dr Leong, in a few years time lar :p lolz"

Part 3
16 year old Down syndrome girl lives in Putrajaya, presented with psoriasis. Her mum was sick, and she didn't have a referral letter for Putrajaya hospital, so the aunt had to bring her down all the way to JB for treatment. No follow up, so last treatment was more than a year ago.. Accoring to aunt, she seemed rather depressed and withdrawn lar.. no longer looking forward to going to school. Joint involvement meant that she required a cane to walk, and took a very long time to try to stand up and balance herself in the midst of the pain..

Makes one wonder how lucky we are, especially in a rather pampered, rights-demanding generation who complains a lot at times..

No comments: