Friday, October 23, 2009

A mock OSCE moment..

Scenario 1 (Nephrotic syndrome): Mr Azman, father of a 7-year old boy (Ali) took leave to accompany his son for his 5th hospital admission this year due to a swollen face.
What happened:
*enters room, greets Dr Paul (examiner)*
Me: Hi, good morning (even though it's afternoon) Mr Azman (simulated patient), my name is Gary and I'm your doctor for today. I understand that you brought your son Ali for admission today, right? Is it possible for me to get you to leave the examination room now? This is to ensure confidentiality as I talk to Ali *turns towards Dr Lai who happened to be sitting in*
Dr Lai: *horrified look* No no no, I'm not Ali. You are supposed to talk to Ali's father.
Me: Oh. *swt*

Addendum:

Scenario 2 (Emergency contraception):
Patient (speaking very fast): Hi, I'm very nervous coz last nite we had a party, and everything kinda got a bit wild and I ended up sleeping with this guy I met at the party.. i just don't want to get pregnant doctor.. how ar?
Me: Ok, first I would like to ask u a few questions 1st is that ok?.. let's see, So, let me just confirm, last night you had sex with a guy whom you did not know?
*silence as patient and examiner gave me that horrified look - there goes your mark for rapport as my friend put it*

1 comment:

Yee Ping said...

haha =)

p.s. a great morning to start in anatomy lab when there is nobody around =) with mr muscle n mr viscera =)