Thursday, February 25, 2010

Musings from Ward 3CTC

Week 1 - "Cardiothoracics in the house!"..

..was what my registrar would say over the ward's microphone as we set off on our 1st ward round at 7.30am. We started late. Seriously, did not know what to expect, having swapped over from neurosurgery. My registrar made me examine almost every patient we see (basically most of the patients had a sternotomy, so just press on their sternum to check for clicks / instability, listen to heart and lung sounds - something which I definitely need more practice in). Also learnt to write more in the notes and be more proactive - assisting the residents and registrars.. took blood, did an IV on a frail, cranky aboriginal lady - although her veins are rather small, thank God managed to put it in - the resident was so encouraging as he told me don't be put off by patients who may not want you to poke them, you just have to find a way around that, and try until you get that drip in by practice. He even took the effort to look for interesting patients for me to examine :-)

I looked at my 1st day patient list and there was... 40 patients? *swt* when we finished rounds, found out that the consultant wants to come in and see his patients, so have to re-do half of the rounds. By the time we were done, 12.30pm already (for me, it's the LONGEST WARD ROUND EVER) - had to dash off for a break.

Overall, 1st week was kind of uneventful, so I decided to follow the timetable given by my supervisor. Sue told me that I need to attend a cardiac meeting on Wednesday afternoon coz my supervisor will be there. After that meeting, tried unsuccessfully to go off, coz then the cardiologists came in and we have a meeting in the seminar room. At that time, was wondering what is this 'Catheter conference' slotted in my timetable - by the time I found out, it was this BORING session where the cardiologists went through ALL the patients which they did an angiogram and Doppler on throughout the week, and plan for surgery with the cardiothoracic surgeons next week. Seriously by the time it ended around 6 something, almost fell asleep..

I came across Sue's patient, and was asked to follow up her history and do an examination. I think she doesn't see me as an angel as I asked to have a look at her stoma as part of my full examination when I reached the abdomen, but never mind.. I tried.

An 60-year old lady was admitted to the ward because she had to undergo a surgery to remove a metastasis in her lung.. she was in pain that morning, and when I had a chat with her while taking her history, many things she did not know, because she doesn't care. "I'm old. It's my family who wants to know, it doesn't matter to me. I have the right to the way I want to live my life." Then she went on trying to convince me to perform euthanasia on her because she believes every patient should have their own right in deciding what they wanna do with their own life. But as I probed deeper, I do sense a poor soul hurting deep inside. A life spent battling cancer can take its toll on you. And there in bed she laid, bearing a grudge against her current state, unable to join in the weekend picnic with fellow family members. It's just difficult to understand that people who rejected attention and care from others, are actually those who need them the most. Passed her a box of tissue as I walked out. She said she will look at my facial expression during the next day's ward rounds to have an idea of the biopsy results.

I was clerking a patient when she suddenly complained of feeling of unwell - nurses were called in, they did an ECG and made her rest. A nurse explained to her, "I think what you are having is what we call a vasovagal attack. What were you doing when you felt funny?" She said, "Talking to Gary?" Everybody looked at me. Wow. So now I give patients vasovagal attacks. Next day, as were doing rounds, this patient suffered a heart attack in front of us. *Swt* Had to declare a METCALL (ie emergency over the speakers)..

Overall it was a quiet week. Nothing much. At 3.30pm, my residents will tell me, "There is nothing much, you can go home."

Provider

The AUD3500 travel grant came in already according to my parents. For me, it's not just money, I believe it reminds me of the importance of holding on to certain principles.

What happened was we were supposed to be given a certain amount of money to subsidise our expenses. I think it's not something which they were obliged to, but our seniors got it, so we are supposed to get it too. That's until Monash announced that the grant was withdrawn.

A petition was drawn up asking Monash Sunway to re-consider the plight of the students and re-instate the grant. I asked Ethan, and basically he shared that it's a grey area evaluated on a case by case basis - but the general principle is not to go against authority which God has put in place. So I decided that we can provide input / suggestions, but no matter how blood-sucking Sunway becomes, or lousy / incompetent / corrupt people in authority are, pray for them and submit - unless the need arises to look towards a higher authority. God put them there, God will remove when the time / need arises (eg elections, circumstances etc). Despite a few friends and classmates pestering me that it was only a form of appeal, I was the only one in my batch who refused to sign the petition. Not to say I'm proud or I am well-to-do financially - seriously it was not easy as I do need the money (and if I was the kind of person I was last time, I would have been the 1st to jump at it) - but I believe in doing the right thing. That's why I do not support political activism. I pray "God, You know my need. You will provide."

I was in JB later in January, and dropped by for a casual chat with my clinical coordinator regarding my visa, and also our problem with the grant. I passed her a copy of our offer letter which stated that we are supposed to receive the subsidy. The next day, she called and told me that she forwarded a copy of the offer letter to the Head of School and academic staff in Sunway, and they were surprised - they had not seen it before and did not know that this was contained in the offer letter. All this while, from what I understand, I think they were wondering "What is this grant which the students keep asking us for.." Immediately Australia was contacted and arrangements were made with the Sunway finance department. What has been an unresolved headache despite 2 months of fighting - solved in 2 days through the power of asking.

No comments: