Saturday, February 13, 2010

Final chapter of neurosurgery

Day 13 - Another day of madness
"With Christ in the vessel we can smile at the storm
As we go sailing home"
-Sunday school song-

I was at the pre-admission clinic when Ben and Anna tried calling me at 10.15am. "Gary where are you?"
Me: "Err.. I'm in the hospital?"
Ben: "You do know we have law class now right? 10 o'clock.."
Me: "No I don't. Where?"
Ben: "In medical building, Monash Uni, Clayton.."
*swt*
Ben was trying to tell me over a not-so-good phone connection that the tutor said if I'm going to be late, take my time, but I heard it as "If I'm going to be late, my name will be written there as coming 1-hour late and will be blacklisted." So I rushed back to Clayton by bus-train-bus-on foot in a record 45 minutes, only to find most people dressed casually. Apparently, if you have tutorials on that day, you don't have to attend hospital activities. It is literally.. a HOLIDAY which I was not aware of. *swt*

Anyway, I had to go back to the city hospital coz:
1. I left my bag there
2. It's the 3rd time I've to reschedule my MCR with the registrar coz he is busy.. I hope he does it today.
So off I went in the train headed towards Melbourne, where dark clouds and lightning ahead revealed that a thunderstorm was raging in the city. Just at that time, I received a phone call from an unknown person, who turned out to be my supervisor. He asked me where am I, and I mentioned that I'm rushing back to the hospital coz I had class before that. To my horror, guess what he said? "Gary, what time are you arriving? Later you go to the seminar room and do your presentation on Back Pain which you have prepared on Monday.. I will be marking you today."

That phone call nearly gave me a heart attack on the train.. THIS IS CRAZY!!!! I thought since he didn't have time on Monday, let's just modify the slides a bit nicely and do a lecture notes handout to include when I'm handing in the copy of my assessment to him. Little did I know this cropped up. "Seriously GOD I DO NOT WANT TO FAIL.. eh you are the one who brought me here so better help me leh, I may not be able, but You are." I think I prayed so hard that my supervisor asked me in the seminar room "Gary, you look nervous.." (what an impression to give - of course lar, especially when you are presenting a half-baked 20-slide presentation which you did not even read up for and risk being bombarded). I was wondering what else he has up his sleeves, and you know what? He called ALL his registrars and residents to come and observe me giving the talk. ^_^"

Amid the talk while heavy rains rage outside, I will admit I was nervous, fumbling a bit here and there, and not knowing answers to some questions, but I thank God that he did not scold, instead used it as a teaching session for his registrars (he is a good teacher by the way). At the end, I did not expect it, but got commended for a good talk. Very thankful :-)

My case presentation patient (whose operation got screwed up by histopath as mentioned previously) had B-cell lymphoma relapse.. Before leaving, I just dropped by the ward for a visit. Her daughter and husband were seen crying as the haematologist explained to them another operation she was scheduled to undergo next Tuesday. Just as I was hiding behind the door taking a peek, a nurse asked me what was I up to. I told her that I'm a medical student following up on my patient, and if they need some time by their own, then could you pass this box of chocolates to them - saying it's from me? The nurse scolded me, "Oh come on, what's there to be afraid??! Just go, I'm sure they won't mind." Next thing I knew, I was at the door, with a shy-look.. "Err.. hi there? Sorry I just finished work and I actually duno what else I could say or offer to help, but I figured of just handing in a little token of appreciation. Hope she gets well soon."

I could sense everybody in that room felt grateful about that. Walked home in the evening rain (coz I forgot to buy an umbrella), but 1st time I actually enjoy being under the showers - a refreshing reminder that His mercies are new every day.

Day 14 - All's well that ends well

I decided to go hands on today, and I'm proud of it. I helped in putting on fluorescent markers (something like tags from sci-fi movies) on the patient's head which is used for mapping the brain via MRI before surgery. I tried putting in an IV, but for someone who has not cannulated for more than a year, rusty already.. equipment here look a bit different, so I had a nice nurse to guide and teach me what to do.. luckily patient was quite forgiving despite the botched attempt. After the IV was put in, the resident had to tell me that now they need bloods taken (and I think the patient was a bit grumpy after the IV to be poked again), so the nurse taught me a shortcut :p (use a syringe to withdraw around 10ml fluid from the cannula until you are sure that the fluid coming out is pure blood, then quickly stick in the vacutainer..) It was a pre-operative ward (all patients who go here need IV cannulas and venepunctures), so I am welcome to go there and practise as many times as I want to (conveniently located beside the cardiothoracic ward where I'm going next).

Tagged along a resident, who showed me that if you want things to be done efficiently and quickly your way:
1. know all the shortcuts and stairways in the hospital to save time getting from point A to B
2. be nice and appreciative to the admin people.. if the healthcare staff can't help you (eg if you want an urgent scan), usually the admin people can help you get things done (can tell that this guy has a charm among the female colleagues :p)

My registrar finally was able to sit down and do my MCR (ie case assessment with me).. he was very keen to teach, and I had to apologise to constantly bothering him. Nevertheless, I mentioned that I should be doing more reading, he told me that I actually have the knowledge - it's just applying it in situations when it is hidden somewhere in your brain. "When you start off in medicine here, you will realise that most of the things you will be doing is paperwork. Not so much of medical knowledge needed - more of experience and determination.." I had a good chat with him for the last time, he signed off both of my 2 MCRs, and though I did not expect to do well in a tough rotation compared to cardiothoracics (whose supervisor was said to be more lenient), he gave me full marks for each criteria.. I was stunned and speechless. *I SERIOUSLY DON'T BELIEVE IT* "You know, of those who previously came to this rotation, you were one of the few who always stayed back until late, even the nurses had to prompt you to go home. So all the best - go, you will make a good doctor."

I duno what the future holds in cardiothoracic surgery, and I do hope I pass my PIA, which is the eventual final assessment grades given by my current consultant supervisor, but as I walked out Ward 2 East for the last time, I was eternally grateful to a faithful God, and was reminded that as we seek 1st His kingdom and His righteousness, putting His principles 1st, all things will work together for the good of those who love Him. End of story.

Currently listening: Keane - Somewhere only we know

No comments: