Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Giving in too much to others?

Took a break from studying to attend the Rod Andrew Oration (basically means Dean's Public Lecture of the Year). The speaker was Professor Barry Marshall from UWA (remember that Nobel Laureate in Physiology and Medicine who discovered that Helicobacter Pylori caused peptic ulcers.. Wonderful lecture I must say, he was showcasing his groundbreaking discovery - with some humour, and we watched a video of the prestigious ceremony at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden.. (basically a once in a lifetime experience - I mean, how often do you get to listen to a lecture from a medical Nobel prize winner? unless of course, you are an IMU student going to the University of Western Australia) Honestly I was considering doing some research at some point along the way (although I hate biostatistics), BMedSc --> PhD

After the lecture, he was signing autographs and there were photo opportunities (students normally took photos in groups, those who did get a personal photo with him pretended to ask him for autographs).. My friend was like, "Go lar faster if you want it so badly.. what in the world are you waiting for?" Unfortunately, for some reason I decided to let other people finish before my turn (since it's too crowded and I wanted a personal pic to put on this blog.. maybe also coz I am the 'pai seh' type - a bit reluctant to speak out) but when I did get to shake his hand, he apologised and said he had to go...



..............................................................................


He had to go.....


...............................................................................


Why?


Disappointed that I did not take my shot and cut in for a fair share when I had the chance..
Sigh.... That missed opportunity felt miserably like crap, but I got exams next week to worry about...
- need to go back to studying-

2 comments:

su wen said...

YOU HAVE A BLOG!!

GaRy said...

yes i do.. haha.. (how did you know?) and i wonder why do the most unexpected responses always popped up in the comments..