Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Learning to say 'No'

Am happy coz the librarian reactivated my library account and cancelled the book on my account which i did not borrow.. yea, can borrow books already..

Just lately I noticed that I have a problem.. I can't say no to people (unless in certain situations like somebody asking me to go clubbing, or some place or do something i don't like).. I don't mind helping people.. eg I help friends back home (who are not doing medicine) with assignments where possible.. I don't mind helping to book tickets when I go out with friends for a movie.. I don't mind doing this and that (provided it's not asking too much) but sometimes I just felt that I am a little overenthusiastic.. I mean, like a 'I am willing to do this for you although I have my own problems but you are not willing to do that for me' type of situation..

Had a briefing on Community Partnerships Placement.. the coordinator gave a stern reminder on crossing professional boundaries.. i mean, while on your placement, what's wrong with taking a child with terminal illness to the beach to admire the scenery and sunset (assuming that he has never enjoyed himself like this before.. crap, i must be watching too many touchy-feely movies, getting too attached to people).. The coordinator said that last year there was a case where a problematic girl in a foster home got attached to a medical stduent on placement, and began to open up as she gained the student's trust. One day, she asked the student to drive her to a place and drop her off in front of a house. The student obliged. That girl in foster care was gang-raped and nearly murdered.

Hmm. same applies to my case as well.. what if that kid got lost or drowned in my company..

"This applies to all of you future doctors. Please do not try to think you are superman. You can't possibly help / heal everybody, otherwise you will be so exhausted and burnt out to function properly.." she said.

Hate that statement.. but need to snap back to reality and swallow the bitter reality of the situation.

1 comment:

Jaszz said...

i've come to learn that everyone is united through their problems. Imagine a world that didnt want to help one another because each person had their own problem. While we minister to others, think about the blessing that you're gonna pour into that person's life. It is going to be worth more than the cost you are bearing. God sees and will reward you! take care and all da best studying!