Saturday, May 29, 2010

End of medical posting + Love never fails Part 2

1. Pretty bad coughing fits for the past week or so, then Sunday had an onset of headache, fever, sore throat (no I don't have H1N1 - I took the vaccination 3-4 weeks ago). Bedridden for days, even dragging myself to the clinic under my supervisor becomes a chore.. Paying RM1 at the outpatient clinic for bacampillin (antibiotics), panadol and loratidine (antihistamines) did not work out - though they thought it's my usual pharyngitis secondary to post-nasal drip, as I do get allergic rhinitis from time to time, so had to look around JB in a taxi for an open clinic on a public holiday. Paid RM90, but the GP felt that it could be an infected rhinitis with underlying mycoplasma infection, so he gave me some stronger drugs (Azithromycin, Theophylline, Eterocoxib and Pseudoephedrine). Today felt much better..

2. Did my MCR with my academic supervisor for a 2nd time coz he expected and drilled me and my partner to do better. Really thankful for the privilege of having such a bedside tutor. Not to say it was my best performance (I know its formative), but I thank God for quite high marks, and the joy of discovering what the patient had (initially I had suspected TB / lung CA), but found nothing on respiratory examination - got told to repeat my chest examination more thoroughly, and to my surprise there WAS indeed dull percussion note on the right lower lobe, with bronchial breath sounds on auscultation!

3. Got reminded during devotion of the following verse:
When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."
Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"
He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."
The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, "Follow me!"

-John 21:15-19-

Why did Jesus had to ask Peter 3 times? Not that He is deaf, nor that He got nothing better to do, I believe it's coz:
1. People tend to be forgetful (especially when they become caught up with things).
2. We do not really mean it, or perhaps it has gradually become a routine (ie we might look fine from the outside based on the things we do, but unknowingly on the inside God is searching your heart for where your true motives lie)

4.
Watched an interesting movie titled 'I am Sam' during prayer meeting, and had a short but good sharing time with my shepherd. Synopsis as follows:
Sam Dawson (Sean Penn), a man with a developmental disability, lives in Los Angeles, works at Starbucks, and is the sole guardian of his six-year-old daughter Lucy (Dakota Fanning), after her mother abandoned them. Despite his limitations, Sam is well-adjusted and has a supportive group of friends with developmental disabilities, as well as a kind neighbor Annie (Dianne Wiest) who takes care of Lucy when Sam cannot. Though Sam provides a loving and caring environment for precocious Lucy, she soon surpasses his mental ability. Other children tease her for having a "retard" as a father, and she becomes too embarrassed to accept that she is more intellectually advanced than Sam. In preparation for a custody case, a social worker turns up at Lucy's birthday party and takes her away, allowing Sam two supervised visits per week.

On the advice of his friends, Sam approaches a high-powered lawyer, Rita Harrison (Michelle Pfeiffer), whose brusque manner, fast-paced schedule and difficult personal life have earned her a reputation as cold and unfeeling. In an attempt to prove to others that she isn't heartless, Rita surprisingly agrees to take on Sam's case for free (pro bono). As they work together to secure Sam's parental rights, Sam unwittingly helps Rita with her family problems, including encouraging her to leave her philandering husband and repairing her fractious relationship with her son.

During the trial period, Lucy is living in a foster home with Randy Carpenter (Laura Dern), but tries to convince Sam to help her run away, and continually escapes in the middle of the night to go to Sam's apartment, whereupon he immediately returns her. At the trial, Sam breaks down after opposing counsel convinces him that he is not capable of being a father. Ultimately, the foster family who plan to adopt Lucy decide to return her to Sam, with an arrangement that Randy will help him raise her.

The final scene depicts a soccer game, refereed by Sam, in which Lucy participates as a player. In attendance are the foster family, Sam's friendship group, Annie, and a newly-single Rita with her son...
It's an interesting observation to see that the very people trying to take away Sam's parenting rights (the lawyer, judge, department of children services etc) on the basis of his inability to provide financially and intellectually for his daughter, these people who actually lived normal lives and whose children have access to every physical need (ie money, education etc). However at times, these are the people who turned out not knowing how to take care of their own children (depicted in the movie through various relationship problems behind the scenes). On the other hand, I think we can learn from people like Sam, though intellectually disabled, in the area of going the extra mile when we care for someone, and being real (rather than putting on a projected image of oneself).

No comments: