Sunday, May 09, 2010

We may never fully understand a mother's love for her children.

Currently listening:
讚美之泉 - 你愛永不變 (Your steadfast love. By: Stream of Praise)




I have actually seen a Chinese grandmother in a similar situation as the video above on arrival at Melbourne airport in 2006. She got off with a warning after Australian customs told her off.

There was a sharing session today about the impact of our parents on our lives, since we celebrated Parents' day (especially mothers). Didn't really share, but got reminded of a few things.. the times spent with my mum at home, where she will boil 'tang yuen' for me, and I will help her make Chinese New Year cookies. You can take me to any hawker stall in the country, but I still think the 'meehoon kueh' (ie pan mee) she makes is the best.. I stopped coming back from outings late at night coz she will always wait for me in the living room before locking up.. Many times failed to appreciate the fact that she was willing to call every 2-3 days while I was in Australia (and even here), asking me the same list of questions which I have pretty much memorised already (eat already? what am i doing now? got do this (or that) or not etc?).. I do remember though while in YANA CG, mailing back home a card designed by a fellow friend, in it was 'Thank you' written in quite ugly Mandarin, (my 1st attempt), but she loved it. One incident which really struck me was when during an occasion when we tried to get a tailor at a market downtown to mend my torn pair of shorts (we don't have a sowing machine at home for this kind of damage). All the tailors along both sides of the market atrium refused to take up the job (coz it pays them too little). At that point, I was thinking of just going home and not wasting time, but instead, she went from shop to shop to personally and persistently beg them to take up the job, enduring multiple ridicules in the process..You might say that my mum is a typical 'kampung' lady who did not finish secondary school, but the little things here and there which she does, really touches me.

Thank you mum. Happy Mother's Day.

No comments: