Saturday, March 05, 2011

Jonah Neurosurgical call Part 3

*Jonah = busy night, with many things going on and wrong*
Currently listening: Hillsong - Desert song
Get this widget | Track details | eSnips Social DNA

For some reason, I don't know why they like to put me on call in neurosurgery, in the past 5 weeks already had 3 of them, and I don't really understand much what is going on in the patients since most of them are critically ill.

Yesterday just after 5pm, when we have not even finished the work at paeds surgical, they already phoned me to accompany patient to the operating theatre for tracheostomy. Even a colleague took pity on me, as to her surprise, "It's only 5pm, so fast already so Jonah ar?" Imagine having to rush to NeuroHDU, follow the patient to the OT as you bag the patient along the way. After the surgery, you have to go accompany the patient back to the HDU the same way you went to the OT, bagging along the way. Imagine doing the same thing for 3 consecutive patients (5 in total that night)..

Even the nurses were telling me that last night they had all sorts of things to name it; tracheostomies, new admission for hypertensive emergency, transfers from other hospitals, moving patients between ICUs, patient stopped breathing and requiring resuscitation, spillage of urine from patient's urinary bag, patients trying to pull out their endotracheal tube, schizophrenic patient struggling up and down in bed. So busy until did not even have time to go upstairs to do night rounds in the male and female wards.

Nevertheless, 1 thing which I gave thanks for, was the opportunity to carry out something which I have not been able to perform under my surgical MOs (which I have been praying for opportunities), 2 central venous line (CVL) insertions - and both were successful at 1st attempts :), despite the 1st one being done a bit fumblingly. Initially I was hesitant, coz both were IVDU patients (drug addicts, high risk of infectious disease) and 1 of them was the schizo patient screaming and struggling vigorously, but eventually as I took that step, the neurosurgical MO was willing to allow me to do it.

Overall it was a tiring night, didn't sleep until next day noon after paeds morning rounds, but again God was in control :)

No comments: