Friday, March 18, 2011

In spite of overwhelming odds

Currently listening: Laura Story - Grace

Last week at Hope JB, we had a bible conference on A Priesthood Church, with pastor's passionate sharing on how each and every one of us are called to be a royal priesthood. As I was on call over the weekend, even when I turned up for the Sunday session, ended up sleeping on the couch due to over-exhaustion.

Then it was decided that I was to be the chairperson for that week's lifegroup (LG), which is slightly related to the theme. For someone who missed 80% of it, not sure of how I was even going to carry it out. On the day before the LG, it was a long day at work, followed by some unexpected circumstances which resulted in me returning home late after a meal with a fellow visitor. I got locked out of the hospital backgate as it was already after 10pm, so I took the long road which was poorly lit, and things did not turn out very well. Just before I left for home, I cut my toe when I knocked it against the leg of the mamak's table. Then, I tripped and stepped into a puddle of mud. I got home at midnight exhausted, whole body aching, and realising that I haven't really finished preparing for LG chairing tomorrow. What more, on the next day, I have an exam which I have not studied for.

In such a time, I emailed my shepherd. I mentioned that it's a funny feeling. On one hand you feel overwhelmed by many things, but on the other, there was that slight feeling of peace, as if God was trying to remind me that His grace is sufficient for me in spite of all the work and fatigue. His reply?
"As we continue to grow in Him and have more responsibility on our shoulder, we will naturally feel tired and overwhelmed. I believe this is the time where God wants to expand our capacity so that we will be able to do more for him in the future. In this process, there are many important lessons that we can learn to equip us to be an effective servant for Him. Keep it up bro, it's a time of moulding and transformation from God ! Breakthrough is just around the corner. As always, would like to encourage you with this verse (which also encourages me a lot :)

Phillipians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God, and the peace of God which transcend all understanding, will guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus.

Jia you bro. God grace is always sufficient. Let's do it together."

At the same time, I realised that I was feeling stressed coz it was my 2nd time chairing LG, and I was nervously holding on to some expectations on how I wanted things to work out. I had to let go and surrender the outcome to Him after doing my best, as it's not about me. As I did so, the LG turned out much better than expected. Surprisingly, what I had prepared hastily flowed well in line with the praise and worship that night, and many people's lives were touched as God moved powerfully that night. As I shared during the testimony session, God's grace is sufficient for us.

No comments: