Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Apologies..

"Sorry", a word that all of us use commonly everyday, be it to apologise, or to express sympathy to somebody in sorrow, etc. (especially so as future medical pratitioners) We should apologise, no matter whose fault it is.. always be the one to eat humble pie.. but is there ever a case of offending through apologising?

I asked Chris today, "Sorry if you feel offended, but if you don't mind can I ask you something? It's a rather sensitive issue.." I've been doing this quite often if I am afraid that what I ask may be considered an insulting to others (since I have the tendency to say things before thinking).. Imagine asking a person about his / her loved one who just recently passed away.. or asking your friend academic stuff when he just failed his exams..

He replied that I can just ask him straight away. According to him, trying to be too cautious by apologising before that question can actually make it sound even more offending and insulting..

Hmm... being overcautious.. by the way, curiosity kills the cat, so is avoidance better compared to being 4+4? What you don't know can't hurt you.. so to know, or not to know?

No comments: