Thursday, March 13, 2008

Morbid

It was just another one of those weeks. Clinic on Tuesday was supposed to be from 2-4pm. Our doctor stretched it to 6.30pm. And I felt so stupid stupid for saying, "Dr, we make a move 1st ar..", coz he gave me a weird look and asked me "What was wrong with the patient just now?" That night I was tired, so I forced myself to take a 1 hour nap. My brain refuses to go to sleep, so I forced myself and slept all the way from 9pm until 7am.. Woke up with severe muscle aches. And my tutorial homework was left undone.

But one thing we saw was a 22 year old (my age) female clerk who came in with her mother, presenting with primary amenorrhoea (ie no periods all along), and absent secondary sexual characteristics. Symptoms were consistent with her not having any ovaries and uterus, and she had surgery to remove her dysfunctional testes while young. She came in for a check-up, since she has osteoporosis. The thing is, it turned out that she was probably 46XY, suffering from testicular feminisation syndrome. In other words, she was born as a boy, but brought up as a girl, and now one treatment method is to give her hormones to enhance her female sexual characteristics. The doctor asked her, "Nanti saya kasi ubat bagi itu *pointing at the breast* besar, mau tak?" She didn't look too enthusiastic. Identity crisis? I guess only she will know what it feels like..

I'm super tired from the past few nights lacking sleep doing my PBL. Super blur lor walking into tutorial today, but I'm glad I survived a week of grilling on the wards, and the tute, despite putting together a last minute presentation for my homework.

Was at the wards today, everybody seem to be getting sick - from my group members to the ward staff, and there was one corner of the wards from which you can just hear moans and agonic groans of chronically sick people. And remember the Indian guy whom we talked to? He still said 'Hi' to me on my ward rounds. He got 1 leg amputated because of gangrene, but still wasn't getting any better. Today didn't see him in the wards. Weird for some fellow with an amputated leg to walk off just like that. Then, found out that apparently they were attempting another amputation (maybe something was left behind in the 1st one, or it was for his other leg lar), and he died during the surgery due to complications.

For most of today, it was pouring down heavily; from the heavens above.

No comments: