Tuesday, August 26, 2008

More snippets from past week and this

1. Went to the wards at night last Thursday to clerk a patient for bedside teaching. Tutor asked to look for the breast cancer patient with lymphoedema, but when I went at 8pm, I found out that the patient was already discharged from the ward. Then, the staff nurse whom misheard me gave me a patient with lipoma. Ok, fine I thought, as I approached the bed, there's this group of 4-5 student nurses from a private college attached here in HSA for 2 weeks for their practical training. When I approached the patient's bed, they backed off. Then I looked at them, and was wondering why they looking at me weirdly (the "Oh, this is what a medical student looks like" kind of look). Then, as I enquired the patient and looked at her file, they looked on curiously at what I was doing. I had a short chat with them lar, seemed like a cheerful bunch - laughed and appeared quite playful, despite patients looking at them. Someone was apparently very "happy" for me, for so-called being 'checked out', though that same person would get a dose of her own medicine the next day in the wards. Too bad on the next day also, when I went to the resting room for doctors in the wards to put my stuff, the same group of student nurses were there, with a larger bunch of their cohort. Can hear whispers among them, "Inilah doktor yang saya cakap semalam." *swt*

2. When I go to the wards, I make friends with housemen who would allow me to follow them around / do procedures / help identify interesting cases. There's one who asked me for my name, and when she saw my name tag; let's just say.. Imagine a female, who talks very fast, sounds like Doraemon (I deliberately told her that loudly in front of patients; though in a joking way) saying the following sentence, "Oh Gary... ah itu-itu.. itu dalam itu Spongebob drama punya siput!!!!" *swt* Anyway, the same houseman asked me, "You want to do Central Venous Line ar?" I was like, "What?", coz that caught me unexpectedly, and I didn't read up on the procedure, what not my anatomy.. I told her I can observe lar.. Then, a few of her friends said, that they performed it during their years as medical students. "Never mind, just 'cucuk' (poke around) lar. You learn more when you do". Later I noticed that the patient's clavicle was so massive, even the injection needle became bent. :p

3 comments:

bookatitle said...

Hahaha..
"Spongebob drama punya siput"??
Hehe.

How are you Gary!! Meh. Haven't been on msn. Haven't been catching up with you for so longgg! :(
hee.

[Keep on going for God! ^^ take care]

jkLOOI said...

Whoa

Gary has now a lot of secret admirers!!!

OMG

GaRy said...

Li Wen: Haha, thanx! Yalor.. haven't been seeing u around. busy izit? :-)

Ji Keon: *swt* Anyway, their practical period over dy, so all went back to their college dy. ahaha :p