Friday, August 29, 2008

Hectic week leading towards freedom (ie Merdeka)

I have 2 items due this Friday (29 August); 1 is my MCR (ie monthly practical test), and the second is my critical appraisal report. It took me until end of last week to find my article, so as I was trying to appraise it, there were quite a number of parts where I got stuck. It was a busy week, but since my tutor was not around on Monday and Tuesday, I thought I will see him on Wednesday, but he was on call in the ICU. I made an appointment to see him on Thursday.

So on Wednesday night, I was so tired wondering what to study for MCR and how to do assignment and PBL at the same time that I had to take a nap for a while doing PBL at Ben's place (before got woken up after just half an hour). Anyway, that night, slept only around 4 hours I think..

Thursday (28 August 2008)
So the next morning I turned up for PBL at 8am (it was the start of a long day)looking like a zombie, but thankful that my presentation was quite ok, and I had fun practising thyroid examination on E.K. :p

After PBL, rushed to the wards for my MCR. Since the next day is the deadline already, and it's my 1st surgical MCR, I was like; "Err.. God ar, it's my 1st surgical MCR and I'm actually not very smart wan, so don't give so difficult case can ar?" The patient I was supposed to examine has an indirect inguinal hernia. Easy you say? Actually, for the past 7 weeks in general surgery, I never got the chance to examine a patient with inguinal hernia before (I mean, for teaching purposes the patient allowed the tutor to demonstrate on him, but was shy when we wanted to practise). So what to do? Try to remember lor as much of what the tutor taught us last week; Monkey see, monkey do, right? Then got asked a few questions.. and I was actually very happy with the marks I got (people may say it's no big deal as this lecturer is quite lenient, but it's still my highest MCR mark so far :p). He actually commented that if I had been more composed (ie smoother flow and less prompting, probably coz I was sleepy), he would have given higher marks.

12pm.. PBL and MCR done, EBCP to go.. rushed back to clinical school for long case. Got the shock of my life when I found out that E.K. and I have the same article for the appraisal. I was like, "What?? You got to be kidding me.. No time to find another article already leh..tomorrow deadline." Fortunately don't have to, but apparently my appraisal lacks several things.. My initial plan was to let the tutor go through my report and adjust the changes later at home. However, the tutor whom I was supposed to meet had to rush off again to the wards. A second tutor was busy, but suggested I email her my assignment to have a look. I went looking for the 3rd tutor who helped me big time with my previous assignment. He had a meeting at 3pm, and MCR with 3 students at around 4 pm, so I thought maybe I will meet him at 5 pm in the wards. In my haste to print and get the sample draft ready, I accidentally slammed the printing room's sliding door against my left finger. *PAINFUL*

So when the time came, I ran to the wards as I thought I was late, but he still haven't finished his meeting, so walked all the way back to the clinical school, and came back at 6pm. Still not finished with the MCR. It's tiring leh to run up and down the sloped staircase from clinical school to the wards. In the mean time, called the hospital surgeon to arrange for afternoon class tomorrow, got sarcastically told off to call back tomorrow morning. I called my ex-shepherd who was supposed to pick me up for dinner at 6.15pm to postpone our dinner appointment but was not possible, coz the designated meeting up time before going together for combined prayer meeting at FGC was 7pm, and traffic jam means we don't even have time for dinner. So there, finished. Die lar my assignment.. The tutor only finished the MCR at 7.30 pm. So I had to arrange another time tomorrow. Was actually thinking "Gary, Gary... you got to be crazy and out of your mind, your assignment and a lot of work not yet done leh.. actually should exercise wisdom lar, just tell lar if you cannot make it due to last minute unforeseen circumstances. Furthermore, the drive there takes 30 minutes.." Was throwing up a lot of calculative thoughts in my mind (coz I'm actually very stingy with my time), but since I already decided to go, "God I know I'm super tired and stressed, but You have been faithful all this while, and I choose to honour You." After that, another night of only 5 hours of sleep. But how much can I do, since a lot of the sections of the assignment which I wanted to enquire of has not been corrected?

Friday (29 August 2008)
Another long day. Tutor came late at 8.15 am, class finished late and turns out that a lot of people wanted to see this tutor also (ie cut queue), so couldn't really ask much about the assignment. But he tried to help lar as much as possible. My subgroup asked me to help look for patient early coz they were packing to go home. Was busy correcting my assignment, how to go? Until I forgot about pathology class. To go or not to go? It's quite late already. Ok lar, just go. Not good to skip class. After class, as I was editing my assignment, I just didn't know how, but the bits and pieces just fell into place. Whether it's correct or not, that's up to the marker to decide lar. But I achieved more progress in that 2 hours than in the past 2 nights. The deadline was 5pm, but managed to submit it at lunchtime. Went to the wards and managed to find a patient, so I clerked and examined him. During the teaching, I learnt a lot lar as the person doing the examination. And after all these, still got plenty of time to spare and I 'tapau'-ed my pathology quiz as well, before catching a bus to replacement caregroup that night.

Thank you Lord :-)