Monday, April 12, 2010

Musings over Easter

Currently listening:
Hillsong - All the Heavens

Get this widget | Track details | eSnips Social DNA

Blunders
By nature, I am pretty much someone who likes to get things done quickly, but the problem arises when what you hear bypasses your brain before it gets to your hands. Was not a very good week at all, nearly got into trouble when the registrar picked up that I mistook patient's A drug chart with patient B (their INRs were different) on assumption without checking. Careless mistake.

Another blunder was to follow later, when a patient with bilateral pyoderma gangrenosum and several fractures went into hypoglycemia and hypotension (her Hb was also low), so she needed an urgent blood transfusion. It's 5pm in the evening of a long day, and I didn't know that the blood bank would be SO particular with documentation (EVERYTHING needs to be exact and matching).. It was the ONLY blood sample we could not afford to lose for cross-matching and transfusion, and when the blood bank called stating that I wrote different collection times on the request form and test tube, had to rush downstairs to rectify stuff. My registrar went absolutely ballistic (4-letter swear words aside, I think he's on the verge of beating up somebody) Fortunately the technician on duty for the day was kind enough to allow me to alter the info, and no need to re-collect the blood, otherwise patient would have died that night.

Connect sharing (continuing from the above)
Was prompted to flip to the pages on the death and resurrection (I think coz it's Easter? :p), and was also glancing through 'Whose Child is This?' by Bill Wilson, and one thing which caught me was the part where the angel told Mary Magdalene and the others who went to anoint the body with spices, "But go, tell His disciples - and Peter - that He is going before you into Galilee, there you will see Him, as He said to you." (Mark 16:7)

What is so special about Peter? What did Jesus see in this fellow? Jesus' 1st words to him were, "Follow me." So were His last words. Peter never failed to follow, but stumbled pretty often too as he got along. His character can be described as reckless (cutting off a soldier's ear), impulsive, easily swayed, cowardly, and the list goes on.. Ever promised someone the world? Peter claimed, "I am willing to die or go to prison." but when the time came, he chickened out, and denied knowing Jesus 3 times (as predicted). In his heart, he truly loved the Lord, but nobody needed to tell him - he knew he had blown it, badly, and felt a great remorse for it. But in this case, God especially wanted Peter to know that Christ was alive (ie "Tell him, he needs to know"). Not only was Peter restored upon receiving the great news, he went on a journey to do great things for God.

There will be tough times in life when we need special attention from the Lord, when we have probably messed up (eg I'm too far into this to turn back, I've made a big mistake etc) When such time arises, know that we have a God who loves and never fails us - His arm is never to far away to save.

God saw the potential in Peter. What does He see in you?

Wake up call

Maybe it is time to wake up, as I think I've been sleepwalking through medical school for the past 4 years.

Cinema at Chadstone

Watched 'The Blind Side' with a couple of fellow Lifegroup meddies. Got reminded of the significance of having somebody who believes in you.


Countdown
4 more days in Melbourne, Australia. Many people asked me how I feel, and basically a bit of mixed feelings heading back to JB. Several people asked to consider staying. My LGL remarked (I think jokingly), "Aiya, his loyalty is no longer with us already."

Some stuff observed and picked up from the Med CoreTeam (new people - Ivy and Mike not counted)

Christina - way of organising, encouraging, leading and sharing (pretty well-read, a reminder that I need to pick up and know my facts)
Yu Wan - I forgot already who described her as weird.. Somehow seems to have a constant sense of joy 24/7. Someone I believe who actually goes the extra mile in doing things.
Zhi Lin - Another one who is bit crazy and wacky - but notice the commitment and ability to liven up an atmosphere.
Zepeng - Reminded me not to just look on the surface, coz there might be more to a person if you actually look underneath it with the right approach (you might just uncover a heart desiring to grow).

No comments: