Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Yellow Shop

Went 2 SS15 2 cut my hair today.. haven't really done that since I was studying in Taylor's.. walked along one of da streets, when I noticed the hairdresser's place where I used 2 get my haircut was no longer there, replaced by an office building..

Last time I was there (it was on da 2nd floor of one of the shoplots), it took me 2 hours just 2 get a hair cut.. aiya, u will know lar when u r qualified 2 bcome a grandma.. anyway, i usually ended up waiting 4 more than an hour if she has customers (usually some aunty) perming their hair.. (If u r wondering what I was doing at such a place, I was so stingy that time, I didnt want 2 pay more than RM10 4 a haircut, so I rather wait - til I discovered the Indian barber across the road)..

Friendly grandma.. she would ask me bout my course (doing A-levels back then), my family, hometown etc.. long chats we had usually made me 4got how super long I took just 2 get a haircut, but nevertheless I didnt really mind, I reminded myself 2 bring newspapers 2 read whenever I dropped by.. her daughter who was studying in Chinese school would then run up 2 me and ask me 2 help with her primary school maths homework. lolz

Compared with hair saloons u c in shopping complexes and stuff, hers was a simple setup.. old magazines stacked on the cushion. the whole family lived there - in fact the saloon was practically their living room. Nevertheless, simple people living simple lives. Contented. Sleeping on mattresses on the floor. Surviving in the midst of brisk development in the area. No signs of headaches. And here I am wondering what in the world is going 2 happen tomorrow, or whether I am going 2 b able 2 achieve / get my hands on this or that..

They have probably moved on. I probably should as well.

No comments: