Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Belated Post - Meltdown: Talk to the Hand

Had fun during Clinical Skills Tutorial regarding the Mental State Examination. We get to take turns to play the role as doctor and mentally challenged patient.. Funny lar.. As a guy who is hallucinates and thinks he's got cancer, i overexaggerated and tried to strangle Brian, my partner. lolz.. Honestly, that's probably one of the few fun moments this week..

I am very exhausted this week.. Imagine having to wake up for lectures at 8am til 5pm for every single weekday of this week (and another 4 days next week bear in mind it's winter now :p).. No choice but to skip a day or 2 of lectures due to inability to get out of bed.. Skip taekwondo lar this week i guess..

CCM counter duty during recruitment drive this week has been a humbling experience, for rather egoistic people like me.. I used to go around collecting donations for St John Ambulance, so this should be no big deal, or so i thought.. Dealing with rejections after rejections can be quite frustrating and discouraging, especially when people with no feelings and who are in a hurry just deliberately brushed you aside out of their way as a way of saying no.. (ie it's like "I am not really bothered to get involved since this is a Christian club..") As pissed off as i was, now i have come to realise how the salespeople and donation collectors on the streets back home felt.. and it was a bit hard to swallow the fact that i used to have the same attitude towards them as these on-campus students have on me now..

We had a briefing today regarding my Selective: Surgical Anatomy, my first choice!! I was happy to have gotten my first pick (maybe they give preference to Monash Malaysia students) until i heard what is in store for me.. Reason i chose it was because:
1. Assessment was pretty straight forward. No active participation in tutorials required , no 3000-word essays to write, not much research.. just attendance and mini poster plus oral presentation will do..
2. I'm interested to learn more anatomy to build up a strong scientific foundation..

Firstly, my selective won't necessarily be at the allocated time slot of Wednesday, 2-4pm as other selectives.. Instead, me and 3 others in a group will have to arrange to see our allocated surgeon at his hospital / surgery office. And the thing is, we might have to go to faraway places that we have never heard of before (anybody knows how to get to Cranbourne or Mooney Ponds??!!).. The surgeon may not necessarily be free at the time we want them to be free, so we may have to skip classes.. we are supposed to observe patients during pre-op, the surgery and post-op, and may have to sacrifice sleep and class attendance if the surgery happens to be in the wee hours such as 3am til 9am.. This goes on for around 8 weeks.. ARGH!!!!!!

I want more time to read my lecture notes and study my textbooks.. I need time for revision of last semester's stuff and OSCE practice.. I miss badminton, House MD, CSI, Grey's Anatomy, my bed and the usual 8 hours of sleep.. I really really do..

Applying for the Petronas convertible loan scholarship (since Monash emailed me an attachment).. I know that chances of getting it is rather unlikely, since:
1. They want people who did either STPM (pass pengajian am / general studies), matrikulasi or diploma. I did A-Levels..
2. Me only child, and dad's salary probably too high already (may not make sense, but i'm really having financial crisis - and it's not my overspending)..
3. Children of ex-Petronas employees and the 'you know whos' may get priority..
4. In case they call me for selection interview, it's not practical for me to fly back to Malaysia in the middle of semester just for something that is 50-50 (don't know whether can get or not)

Edited piece (time is currently 12.20am, 20 June 2006): Still filling in the form for Petronas scholarship..i'll use SPM since i don't know how to proceed if i put STPM.. basically felt like i'm wasting time (and handphone credit calling back home to obtain info).. time which could be used to study or rest (since tomorrow got lecture at 8am again).. call me 'kiasu'.. call me ridiculous.. call me whatever..
But anywayz, i don't really care.. i'll just throw in an application and hope for the best..

By the way, thanx Jason for the encouraging email :-)
Psalm 31:24 “Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.”

before i forget..
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KOH WEI SIAN (aka KWSP)!!!!!

1 comment:

Jaszz said...

No worries dude! Continue to press on for Jesus! u have been working hard this week and i understand that you lack rest. but do take care of yourself ya? am really encouraged by your actions!